"It's a very clear, concise and easily absorbed portrait of what's happening and what needs to happen. This is a documentary that should be seen by educators, students, politicians, and environmentalists alike. Jon and Jo Ann Hagler on behalf of the Jon L. Hagler Foundation. I mean, how big a problem do you think these kinds of dumping grounds are in Indonesia? ", Now youre getting more mixed plastics, like pouches andeverything comes in a clamshell now. Stuck with plastics they couldnt sell, Smith and other recyclers met with representatives from the plastic industry. There was an attitude that if your product was not recycled, then it should not be in the marketplace. Plastic is different than any This million-dollar plastic sorting system in Salem is the first of its kind in the world. The Legislature wants to impose new fees on plastic makers and restrict single-use plastics. I guess I think of it more as an investment in managing plastic waste. Others, like Colgate-Palmolive, saw a need for better education. Theres no one that would even take it if I paid them to take it." They knew these problems existed, absolutely. This is from California. It provides valuable information and presents that information in an engaging and visually gripping way.' And this one talks about the cost of separating plastics from other trash. JENNIFER BOADA-RODRIGUEZ, Senior technical associate, Colgate-Palmolive: So were here today to showcase our first-of-its-kind recyclable tube. And by impacts, I don't mean whether or not it can be recycled. The Midwest Book Review'Intriguing..chilling filmJournalist Angela Sun offers valuable new insights.' The film won many awards and was released in 2013. It was, "We need to be doing things.". FRONTLINE is a registered trademark of WGBH Educational Foundation. Angela SunProduced by Angela Sun, Gil Elbaz, Elyssa Elbaz, Tanya Leal SotoEditor: Wendy ShueyCinematography: Joseph Ochoa, Francisco Aliwalas, Mark BellaGraphics: Jonathan Jelkin. News Pollution. Plastics will never go away as long as the consumer demands it. Plastic Paradise | Bullfrog Films: 1-800-543-3764: Environmental DVDs and Educational DVDs is a leading source of educational DVDs & videos, with a collection of over 700 titles in these main subject areas: Environment Globalization Sustainability Climate Change Social Justice Developing World Indigenous Peoples Earth Science Life Science Making recycling work was a way to keep their products in the marketplace. The Boston Globe, Best of Fest Award, Docuwest Film FestivalGrand Jury Award, Wild and Scenic Film FestivalBest Medium Length Documentary, FICMA, Barcelona International Environmental Film FestivalBest Educational Film, Blue Ocean Film FestivalBest Documentary, Philadelphia Asian Film FestivalGold Award Winner, California Film AwardsBroadcast Award, American Conservation Film FestivalBest Environmental Film, San Francisco Ocean Film FestivalIsla Conservation Award, Catalina Film FestivalHawaii International Film FestivalSonoma Film Festival International Wildlife Film Festival, Missoula, MTSan Francisco Green Film FestivalBig Bear International Film FestivalSan Diego Asian International Film FestivalHonolulu World Oceans Day Festival Waimea Ocean Film FestivalLos Angeles Asian American Film Festival Boston Film Festival Kuala Lumpur Eco Film Festival Sonoma International Film Festival Irvine International Film Festival Richmond Environmental Film Festival Marda Loop Justice Film Festivals I Imagine Film Festival Festival TransAmeriques Montreal Gray's Reef Ocean Film Festival Miami and the Beaches Environmental Film Festival Reel Change Sustainability Film Festival, Sun, Angela (screenwriter) Along the way she meets scientists, researchers, influencers, and volunteers who shed light on the effects of our rabid plastic consumption and learns the problem is more insidious than we could have ever imagined. he was actually Italian, dressed up like an Indian [Laughs]but the fake crying Indian, the most famous one, ends with this very dramatic sentence where they say. She is known for her stylized images of ordinary objects. Some people have a deep, abiding respect for the natural beauty that was once this country. It was manufactured. We call it Plasticstown USA. People can stop it. Additional funding is provided by the Abrams Foundation; the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation; Park Foundation; the Heising-Simons Foundation; and the FRONTLINE Journalism Fund with major support from Jon and Jo Ann Hagler on behalf of the Jon L. Hagler Foundation, and additional support from Koo and Patricia Yuen. I think they knew that the infrastructure wasn't there to really have recycling amount to a whole lot. We dont think that were being misleading because technically it is recyclable. Dr. Chelsea M. Rochman, Smith Fellow in Conservation Biology, Marine Ecologist/Ecotoxicologist, Aquatic Health Program, University of California Davis'Plastic Paradise offers new and sharpened perspectives on the problem of plastics in the environment. Whats happening with K-Cups? plastic paradise transcriptplymouth township mi police scanner. I highly recommend checking this film out!' The Hollywood Reporter'The film everyone needs to see.' Dr. Patricia Corcoran, Associate Professor of Earth Sciences, University of Western Ontario'Angela Sun spoke with all the right people and even went to places she wasn't supposed to go in order to present the full story on plastic pollution. So let's take a look at these blueberries. After a 30-minute drive, we reached a quiet neighborhood with an area hidden from the road. The company has not been charged with any wrongdoing related to dumping. All of a sudden, our own customers, they would bring it in and not only say it has the triangle, but it wouldthey would flat-out say, "It says its recyclable right on it." We flip it over. FEMALE. And this was in 1973. Can we come in and look? But later that night, on a back street, I met up with a New Harvestindo worker who agreed to talk to me about what the company does with its plastic waste. Science tells us that we need to significantly reduce our use of materials overall, and yet for the most part, the policymakers are still focused with laserlike intensity on recycling. I think we were overly optimistic about the potential of recycling, and perpetuating that narrative led us astray. And if you turn this over, you see the chasing arrows. They say residents will put all their plastic containers in one bag. Dr. Joel Baker, Director, UW Puget Sound Institute, Professor and Port of Tacoma Chair in Environmental Science, University of Washington Tacoma'Angela Sun has found a way to present the imminent dangers of plastics pollution in a jarringly visual and inquisitive formatSignificant take-home messages include a misconception of just how few plastic products are recyclable, and that plastics production will continue to increase as long as the demand for plastic products remains. ; "Plastic Paradise"; Bullfrog Films. If no button appears, you cannot download or save the media. Eleven billion. These chemicals can then enter the food chain when consumed by marine life. A major showdown is shaping up in California. The producers know what the environmental impacts of these different formats are, but they don't disclose it. Once a completely natural product, much of today's plastic is man-made and largely dependent upon fossil fuels. Loaded with more than 3,000 tons of waste from New Yorks Long Island. Plastic Paradise: The Great Pacific Garbage Patch DOCUMENTARY The invention of synthetic plastic created an era of disposable products. Carl F. Cranor, Professor of Philosophy, Faculty of Environmental Toxicology Graduate Program, University of California-Riverside'Plastic Paradise warns that the environment is everyone's responsibility, and that humanity cannot turn a blind eye to its own garbage forever. Currently, we support online registration for anyone affiliated with a higher education institution. You could recycle this in a lab. The Garten Foundation of Salem unveiled a new sorting machine that may change the way we recycle forever. Yeah. The smell of burnt plastic was in the air, and all around, there were sacks of plastic, and big piles, too. Thousands of miles away from civilization, Midway Atoll is in one of the most remote places on earth. In many ways were just getting started. It provides valuable information and presents that information in an engaging and visually gripping way.' Do you think that America can recycle its way out of this plastic crisis? Let me continue to use it. ", Another said "there are no effective market mechanisms for mixed plastic. In the meantime, let me just recycle this.". Do you think that because its not quite recyclable yet that that might be a little misleading? I mean, for most states they did it in, recyclers didnt even know it happened. No, it was not an accident. They said that the chasing arrows symbol was OK, as long as it was small and on the bottom of packaging. The film's haunting message highlights the importance of society transitioning to the existing truly biodegradable polymers wherever possible and as soon as possible.' Plastic Paradise 1) Why is plastic different than any other substance on Earth? Freemans boss at the time, Larry Thomas, the head of the Society of the Plastics Industry, was blunt about it. As plastics break down through photodegradation, they leach out colorants and chemicals, such as bisphenol A (BPA), that have been linked to environmental and health problems. I remember being a kid and watching those ads. The film provides graphic proof of this phenomenon. We have to show hard results. Text on this page is printable and can be used according to our Terms of Service. So the idea would be mechanical sorters pick out 11 billion K-Cups, right? Its very confusing to a lot of people. By 1987, a wandering barge called the Mobro became an emblem of the growing crisis. The film is excellent--in its timeliness, its depth, and its presentation. Much more education needs to happen on how to recycle. This is everywhere in every supermarket. Let's get these bills passed. By doing so, this film will inspire young people to act as global citizens and contribute to finding solutions for the major environmental problems of the coming century.' Let's put these away and let me show you another recycling label. [Chanting] Save our Earth! This is our moment, California. Plentiful supplies of natural gas are driving down the cost of making plastic. Over the past year, weve been investigating the plastic crisis and found that many of the problems we face today were set in motion decades ago, by the very companies who make plastic in the first place. How did it get there?The trash survey was conducted on a beach. When Sun tells us at the end of the film that the amount of plastic in the world will quadruple by the . Lead editor, Wendy Shuey; cinemtaography, Francisco Aliwalas [and 6 others]; music by APM Music [and 6 others]. This is classic. But later we surely realized that there was always another aspect of what was going on in China. Now what were doing here is were sorting it out into the milk jugs, the natural HDPE, the pigmented HDPE, PET water bottles. That wasnt the intent. STATE REP. LORENA GONZALEZ (D-San Diego): Yeah. I strongly recommend this film as an instructional tool to connect ecology, communication, and global service. It then makes it's way up the food chain, ultimately into humans. If you have questions about how to cite anything on our website in your project or classroom presentation, please contact your teacher. ", "Eye-opening insightPlastic Paradise provides an informative, timely and, relevant look at the consequences of plastic consumption", "A film that moves the grassroots and has the audience thinking twice, before grabbing a straw to go with a beverage.". New to Docuseek? 640,000 tons. And with all that new plastic came mountains of plastic waste. 'This is an issue of vast scales. For scrap. We took a seat by the side of the road and she showed me pictures she'd collected of plastic that locals said had been dumped here. ThermaSet is the future. And we sold that $1.5 million machine for scrap. How many discarded fishing nets are in oceans worldwide? Smokejumping is the pinnacle of wild land firefighting. Transcript Plastic Wars View film LAURA SULLIVAN, Correspondent: In 2015, a marine biologist came across a sea turtle in distress. So all the plastic will come off before the line ends. In this state, none of this is recyclable. bloated seabirds and littered waterways have fueled a global anti-plastic movement. "Some firms used it as a green marketing tool." What do you think Americans need to know? This is plastic that has no home, so it's your clamshells, Ziploc bags, film, a CD, a food wrapper. Youre saying youve got plenty as it is? And in 2018, China stopped taking imported plastic waste. For the oil and gas industry, the stakes are higher, too, because single-use plastic is their Plan B. Plastic Paradise "Sun offers a fresh, new voice for her generation and has made a film that can appeal to the masses" - Honolulu Pulse "Chilling film.journalist Angela Sun offers valuable new insights." --The Hollywood Reporter "Thoughtful new documentary by @sunnyangela examines the Great Pacific Garbage Patch Last year, customs found that half the containers of plastic waste they inspected. This is one of the easiest visualizations of how humans (not all, but many) have lost connection with the environment--a sad state of affairs--but the truth.' Angela Sun is an award-winning journalist, sports caster, and filmmaker. Do you think that the company feels so strongly that it is willing to make less money? Recyclers and the plastic makers couldn't agree on how to change the code. All Rights Reserved.Graphics by. Our newest CALI Award winner is Angela Sun - Storyteller, Adventure Traveller, Sports Lover. Vinod Singh is the outreach manager at Far West Recycling. In 2017, however, researchers surveying the islands beaches found the highest concentration of plastic trash ever recorded.In this infographic, the colored dots show the amount of plastic and other trash collected in one survey plot. Some were very skeptical but felt they had to do it. And you don't think this is just an industry coming up with a way to get out of a crisis? Because as long as it remotely resembled plastic, they wanted it. For the last 40 years, the conversation in this country has been about the recycle part of "reduce, reuse, recycle.". As long as we didnt disclose his identity. 'This is an issue of vast scales. I mean, you got handed this task to recycle plastic in the United States. Carl F. Cranor, Professor of Philosophy, Faculty of Environmental Toxicology Graduate Program, University of California-Riverside'Plastic Paradise warns that the environment is everyone's responsibility, and that humanity cannot turn a blind eye to its own garbage forever. Reduce the impact. [Speaking Indonesian] If its not useful, we put it into the community. Well, you would imagine that when you take a garment off the rack and take it to the checkout counter, then this should go back. Yes, because we are struggling to handle our own waste. Polystyrene, PET, PVC, polypropylene. It just keeps getting better, doesnt it? But the proof here is the dramatic amount of investment that's happening right now. Plastic Paradise makes the issue of plastic pollution real and relevant. Will Posegate is the chief operating officer of Garten. I strongly recommend this film as an instructional tool to connect ecology, communication, and global service. In this independent documentary film, journalist/filmmaker Angela Sun travels on a personal journey of discovery to uncover this mysterious phenomenon. The most famous one, with the crying Indian. When you look at plastic, you know how it helps things stay fresh and safe and light. This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. But most other types of plastic are technically difficult and often costly to recycle, and that makes them nearly impossible to sell, so they keep piling up. I dont think so, because when I looked at them, at the arrows, I thought this is a way to identify the products so that the early stages of recycling can take place. [Speaking Indonesian] It used to be only once a month, but now it can be two or three times a week. One internal document from the Society of the Plastics Industry cautioned "the techniques of cleaning and separating the mixed plastics has not been developed for large scale economic application. A barge filled with garbage is causing quite an international stink. The image of plastics among consumers is deteriorating at an alarmingly fast pace, it says. Its facing opposition to the construction of new plants. We reached out to more than a dozen major plastic makers; the only one that would sit down with us was Chevron Phillips. Hi, Im Laura Sullivan, NPR and PBS FRONTLINE. Our member companies, SABIC and Shell and LyondellBasell, all of whom have made major announcements in traditional and advanced recycling to begin to intervene in that space in order to bring their scale, their technical know-how and their capacity to start providing products that are based on waste. How much plastic will the US produce this year? All rights reserved. Use and discard, and then this is where it all ends up. Were they misleading the public? ", And this document was candid: There is serious doubt widespread plastic recycling can ever be made viable on an economic basis.. Dr. Garen Baghdasarian, Professor of Biology, Chair of Life Sciences, Santa Monica College'Filmmaker Angela Sun tells a compelling story about the plethora of harmful impacts associated with non-degradable plastic, particularly in regard to the marine environment, while recognizing that the properties of plastic have enhanced our quality of life in many ways. So you can talk about this stuff a lot. We support, actually, the ACC goalsAmerican Chemistry Councilgoals of getting plastic waste out of landfills by, I think the date is 2040. Less than 10% of plastic has actually ever been recycled. and focus public attention on a growing problem. The sacks are from a plastic company. And the consumption and lifestyle that we have, I think itsyou have to rethink, because we have to reduce the amount of plastics that we produce at the moment. Angela Sun provides an excellent model of how one curious person can use her talents to follow her interests, speak from the heart, and contribute to improving the world. Do your part, save the Earth, recycle. It says it's recyclable. Construction will eventually employ 6,000 people. Timothy Hoellein, Aquatic Ecologist, Assistant Professor of Biology, Loyola University'With fantastic archival footage, revealing modern images from the pacific and thoughtful, fact-based explanation, Plastic Paradise provides an educational, hip, and very entertaining look at some of the many ways plastic is affecting us all. TV-PG. Here's this flexible bag, and it's a plastic-metal laminate. And few places have pursed recycling more aggressively than Oregon. For decades, the national response to the growing plastic waste problem has focused on one solution: recycling. Buy the Official DVDBuy the Digital DownloadEducational Screenings. Did you feel like they cared more about selling plastic than they did about making recycling work? Because what it allows industry to do, is it allows industry to keep the conversation focused on recycling and never move the conversation on to the bigger issues, which are the full environmental impacts of all this stuff. People all around the country bought that line and thought it was our responsibility to take care of litter. But to get to the beach, the trash had to float through the water, which is where coral reef organisms would have encountered it. 2023 Plastic Paradise. Dr. Joel Baker, Director, UW Puget Sound Institute, Professor and Port of Tacoma Chair in Environmental Science, University of Washington Tacoma'Angela Sun has found a way to present the imminent dangers of plastics pollution in a jarringly visual and inquisitive formatSignificant take-home messages include a misconception of just how few plastic products are recyclable, and that plastics production will continue to increase as long as the demand for plastic products remains. It's time for change, and this is that time. This is just hangers, one type of plastic. It holds one of the worlds largest collections of industrial history. National Geographic Magazine infographic by Jason Treat and Ryan T. Williams Powered by Background Info Vocabulary Idea for Use in the Classroom RONALD LIESEMER, Council for Solid Waste Solutions, 1988-2001: They wanted to know, was I interested in being the guy who actually made recycling happen across the U.S.? Were working with other organizations to get the word out. and plastic bans are spreading across the country. Americans discard more trash than any other country in the world. What does coral treat? On a bright day last summer, Larson and fellow . The Hollywood Reporter'The film everyone needs to see.' People with respiratory problem, they really get affected. In a highly controversial action, one county in New York state has voted to ban all packaging made of two kinds of plastic. Now here we are again in a crisis. The table is set with polyethylene products, too. I was the front man for the plastics industry, no getting around it. When I came here in June, I asked them where did they get this from? Amazing work!' It really became a metaphor of, "We are bumping up against limits here. Plastic Paradise is another documentary on the topic of plastic waste and our oceans. As we continued reporting, we found even more internal documents and court filings and spoke with over a dozen industry insiders, including three top executives who represented the big plastic producers and agreed to talk publicly for the first time. Were going to have to invest in innovation, because some of these technologies still need to be further developed. There's also an entire industry that's going to triple production by 2050. With Josh 'Shag' Agle, Jeff 'Beachbum' Berry, Drew Birch, Richard Boccato. So, you're saying consumers stand here and think, "What can I recycle?" How could they go into all of these communities and tell people "You just have to recycle" when they knew there were so many problems and so many hurdles? We cannot keep just continuing this mindless consumerism, mindless consumption and dump it somewhere else. Many U.S. cities are taking steps to ban plastic grocery bags. Eighty plastic bags found inside the whale. 115 billion pounds. Dr. Chelsea M. Rochman, Smith Fellow in Conservation Biology, Marine Ecologist/Ecotoxicologist, Aquatic Health Program, University of California Davis'Plastic Paradise offers new and sharpened perspectives on the problem of plastics in the environment. Yes. The effect on the planet, the actual effect. This is from Purchase, New York. In response, many companies, including plastic makers, and even some environmentalists got behind an iconic ad campaign that focused attention on the publics role. Would any of the trash be harmless?Use this encyclopedia article on food webs and the article on coral reef food webs to introduce students to a typical coral reef food web. In the last 20 years weve seen more environmental degradations and environmental problems in Indonesia. They didnt want to go anywhere near no triangle. Once in the ocean there is really no way to get it out, other than hope that it washes up on a shore and is collected. Plastic Paradise: A Swingin' Trip Through America's Polynesian Obsession: Directed by Brett O'Bourke. Responding to pressure from states and environmentalists to better identify the many types of plastic, it created a code to tell them apart. But even as Liesemer and his colleagues were publicly promoting recycling, privately, the industry had long expressed doubt it was ever going to happen on a broad scale. Dr. Patricia Corcoran, Associate Professor of Earth Sciences, University of Western Ontario'Angela Sun spoke with all the right people and even went to places she wasn't supposed to go in order to present the full story on plastic pollution. When we do that, we end up with bales that are more easy to sell and that are more easy for consumer goods companies to incorporate into their packaging. The Rights Holder for media is the person or group credited. Timothy Hoellein, Aquatic Ecologist, Assistant Professor of Biology, Loyola University'With fantastic archival footage, revealing modern images from the pacific and thoughtful, fact-based explanation, Plastic Paradise provides an educational, hip, and very entertaining look at some of the many ways plastic is affecting us all. We could ship scrap and hope that it is being recycled in the way it should be, or the other way is come here, see how serious he is about doing it the right way. Busy lifestyles and a growing urban population mean an increase in demand for food that is fresh. Coy Smith ran recycling centers in Southern California in the 1980s and early '90s. If you have questions about licensing content on this page, please contact [email protected] for more information and to obtain a license. So, contaminated plastic trash is as big a problem for you guys as narcotics and drugs coming into the country. The big problem is that it is all about money, profits. Step into the world of man-made materials that take up where nature left off. In Washington last November, during America Recycles Week. 1996 - 2023 National Geographic Society. Save our Earth. The plastic industry had brought a demonstration project here in 1994. See it and share it with others!' Are we damaging the environment more in the name of recycling?". Its a win-win situation. Producers should disclose the environmental impacts of their materials publicly. As of today, plastic bags are banned in Jersey City. How do you get it to a place where 100% of this plastic getting recycledhow do you get there? But it isnt just industry thats kept consumers focused on recycling for so long. When you get a bale of plastic, how much of that bale is plastic that the company wants and how much of it is stuff that is just plastic that youre not going to do anything with? Recyclers also appealed to government regulators, but they sided with industry. The fact that you now dont have to worry about dropping a shampoo bottle that was made out of glass on the bathroom floor because its plastic. Sun, Angela (film producer) An endangered sea turtle? And they said no. I strongly recommend this film as an instructional tool to connect ecology, communication, and global service. Please inquire if you are with a K-12 district or school or with a public library. At the bottom of all these plastic containers is this little chasing arrowthe little recycling symbol with a number. William J. Cooper, Professor of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Director of the Urban Water Research Center, University of California-Irvine'A fun and well-balanced introduction to a complex environmental topic. They float in the water and get eaten by sea life. JERRED JONES, Program representative, Keep America Beautiful: We are Keep America Beautiful. He was checking out a recycling company that he sells his plastic to. Plastic Paradise: The Great Pacific Garbage Patch Trailer Angela Sun 01:58 Description Reviews Credits Cataloging Thousands of miles away from civilization, Midway Atoll is in one of the most remote places on earth. The industry is not telling the public just to recycle. Plastics in the ocean have been building up for decades. And yet despite the backlash, the industry that makes plastic is expanding. Angela Sun reveals the effects of our rabid plastic consumption as she investigates The Great Pacific Garbage Patch. He told me he could take me to a place where the company had recently been dumping plastic. In small groups, explore the impact of ocean plastics on coral reef species by having students research the impact of ghost nets on sea turtles, the ingestion of plastic by Pacific seabirds, and the ingestion of plastic particles by coral polyps. In the United States. One in every 10 Americans took part in rallies, concerts and. Dr. Garen Baghdasarian, Professor of Biology, Chair of Life Sciences, Santa Monica College'Filmmaker Angela Sun tells a compelling story about the plethora of harmful impacts associated with non-degradable plastic, particularly in regard to the marine environment, while recognizing that the properties of plastic have enhanced our quality of life in many ways. I wanted to understand how we came to this moment; how the plastic industry has been able to thrive all these years in the face of a growing crisis and opposition thats now stronger than its ever been. I had no staff. I highly recommend checking this film out!' DAVID ALLAWAY, Oregon Department of Environmental Quality: Very nice to meet you. I showed Ron Liesemer industry reports we found dating as far back as the 1970s. You'll receive access to exclusive information and early alerts about our documentaries and investigations. YUYUN ISMAWATI, Co-founder, Nexus3 Foundation: Yeah. Planetsave'Sun offers a fresh, new voice for her generation and has made a film that can appeal to the masses.' What's it like to look at a field this size and see it covered in plastic trash? We are the shipper of the scrap. They want to sell more plastic containers. ", We never asked the question, "Are they doing it the right way? Highly recommended.' Trace the history of the material that ushered in the "plastics century." Watch Think Dig Deeper Discuss Customize this lesson 403 Create and share a new lesson based on this one. This floating ocean garbage is home to a surprising amount of life from the coasts. What about all of these? Soto, Tanya Leal (film producer). You get recycling going, that has its benefits and it improves the image of the material. habitat for humanity corrupt, zelle payment screenshot, woodworking classes for veterans,

Nypd Employment Verification Unit Phone Number, Most Cuss Words In A Sentence, Articles P