What have you been up to? Start your free trial today and get unlimited access to America's largest dictionary, with: Paisano. Merriam-Webster.com Dictionary, Merriam-Webster, https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/paisano. Short term for "paisano" which translates to countryman. Cali is above all else). Un antioqueo nunca se vara People from Antioquia never give up. Se nota que You can see that / its clear that, Se supone que Its supposed to be / supposedly its. How do you go about finding out? / Cmo le ha ido? Gain the superpowers of charm and charisma when speaking Spanish. How are things going? How much is [object] at the moment? Used much like lets say or I dunno would be said in these same situations in English. Also Rayon shirts, unbuttoned at the Ms tragado/a que tanga de loca More swallowed (i.e. To find a specific word/phrase, you can browse the list alphabetically or press control/command + F to use the search function in your browser. / y t que? Any attempt to translate such things literally proved extremely unenlightening. El man es bien feo The guy is really ugly. Estar tragado/a de alguien To have a big crush on someone / to be totally smitten with someone. Rolo/a Someone from Bogot, or the surrounding areas. Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary & Thesaurus. Abrazos Hugs. Barman Barman (obviously). Dizque Supposedly (informal). Mira Technically means Look and is often used by Colombians as a way to start a sentence. Cada veinte das Every three weeks (lit. Paisa Querer a alguien To love someone (in the sense of caring for them a great deal rather than love of your life type love). / How has your morning been? Me gustas (mucho) I have a (big) crush on you. / quin se apunta? Regatear To bargain or barter (prices). Lo visto, pero no lo mantengo Said about those who eat exaggerated quantities, it roughly means I can clothe you, but I wont feed you (the implication being that you eat so much its impossible to provide for you). Lo raro es que The weird thing is. Whats up? Parche A group of friends, a social life (lit. Qu hiciste el finde? Have you been working/studying or partying a lot lately? A typical way to sign off electronic messages and emails. Delivered to your inbox! Todo bajo control Everythings under control. Ms tragado/a que calzoncillo de torero More swallowed (i.e. noun [ C ] us / pa.s / uk / pa.s / plural paise us uk / pa.se /. And what about you? Saludos Greetings/saying hi (also used as an email sign-off, like a friendlier version of regards). Pri Used as a way to address friends (Caribbean coast). The fascinating story behind many people's favori Test your vocabulary with our 10-question quiz! The term is of more geographical than linguistic relevance, since the dialects spoken in the various regions of Colombia are quite diverse. Lets do it / go ahead / sure (Medelln). Whats up? Defenderse To get by (in the context of a skill e.g. Prenderse To light up OR to get tipsy. As de sencillo! For other meanings see here. Me caes muy bien I like you a lot (non-romantically). Hay una cantidad (enorme) Theres a whole bunch of / a ton of. Cudate (mucho) Take (real good) care. Pobrecito/a Poor guy/girl/woman (when being sympathetic). Una chica difcil A girl who is hard to get (in dating contexts). Amanecimos As well as describing the action of the sun rising, Colombians sometimes use the verb amanecer as a way to describe how they feel on waking (like we saw in the greeting Cmo amaneciste?). Web1.Paisa Urban Dictionary Author: www.urbandictionary.com Post date: 23 yesterday Rating: 2 (1427 reviews) Highest rating: 3 Low rated: 2 Summary: Paisa is slang for someone who is from your country. Gracias al seor Thank the Lord. smitten) than a crazy womans thong. Whats new? Estar desparchado/a To have not social life (to be without a parche). Tambin un clsico paisa, pero esta vez del rap Vaina A thingy. This person is strong and street smart and can get his or her HUSTLE on. Tener ms sencillo To have smaller bills (e.g. There is, it must be said, much truth to this. Compae Short for compadre, meaning friend (Caribbean coast). Tinto / tintico Black, filter coffee. Te lo tengo que decir I gotta tell ya / I have to say (used figuratively). Literal Meaning: Amazing plan. You must there are over 200,000 words in our free online dictionary, but you are looking for one thats only in the Merriam Colombians tend to use viaje to describe the journey (as in, being on the transport) rather than the vacation itself. Embarrar Colombian verb for to mess something up. Can also mean something like to drop by or to meet up with someone. Yo me apunto Im in! No hay mal que por bien no venga Everything bad ultimately happens for a good reason (like a more positive version of Every cloud has a silver lining). Sign up for the Colombian Spanish video course today to transform your language skills from ordinary to extraordinary. Quiubo mijo? No tener con quien salir/hablar To have on-one go out with/to talk to. Cmo amaneci? One of the problems I faced as a Spanish learner in Colombia was that the meaning of many of the words I heard in everyday conversation didnt appear to match what the dictionary said they should. Caleta An illegal stash of weapons (or sometimes cash). Hgale Lets do it / go ahead / sure (Medelln). Perro Literally, dog. Ahora / ahorita / ahoritica Meaning depends on context, but can be now, in a little bit, later or even never. Read more. El que reza y peca, empata He who prays, but also sins, breaks even overall. Que yo sepa As far as I know / as far as I am aware. Hijueputa Common way to say hijo de puta (roughly, son of a bitch). Could I get? A Paisa Thug is a mexican male or female who lives or have lived a rough life. Apreciar a alguien To care for someone a lot, to think very highly of someone. Hows it going? El guayabo se quita con[objeto] You can get over your hangover by [whatever]. Estar acostumbrado/a a To be used to / to be in the habit of. Ms paisa que una arepa A saying used in Antioquia to describe those who talk or act in ways typical of the region. Costeo/a Someone from the Atlantic/Caribbean coastal region. Me alegro saludarte Nice talking to you. Parche. Perfecto Perfect / great (often heard when confirming arrangements). Cuadro / compa Dude / friend (Caribbean coast only). No estar bien visto To not look good (in the sense of society not thinking that something is acceptable). Bien o no? Como te ves de bonita hoy You look so beautiful today. 2023. Its a mash-up of dicen que as in they say that. Tomar unos tragos To have some (strong) drinks. Love words? There are a few more examples of English words Colombians regularly use in their conversations. Cul es el propsito de la vida? what is the purpose/meaning of life?). Una belleza A real beauty (generally applied more to objects and situations than people). Que tengas un buen finde Have a good weekend. Literally it means Im telling you that, but in reality it conveys little additional meaning. Mozo/a The person with whom someone commits adultery. Una nia tan linda como t y sin novio? Lugarcito A small place (arguably used more often than pequeo lugar). Y por qu me est diciendo eso? Subscribe to America's largest dictionary and get thousands more definitions and advanced searchad free! Una relacin de pareja A (romantic) relationship. How did your [x] go? to throw ones self). Estar happy To be tipsy (mainly used by women). What did you get up to at the weekend? Amar a alguien To love someone (stronger than querer a alguien). These indexes are then used to find usage poisha. Estar pensando en To be thinking of e.g. dancing, speaking a foreign language). Todo el proceso Literally the whole process. Meaning: To go out, to party. Hace tiempo que no te vea Its been so long since Id seen you! All good? How much will you let it go for? In the right hands, this phrase can be used affectionately, but most of the time it is offensive. Cmo te trata la vida? Paisano has different meanings but related. Sacar la piedra In the interior of the country this expression means to lose patience, to get angry or to not be able to stand something any longer. The information shared above about the question, TOP 9 what does paisas mean in spanish BEST and NEWEST, TOP 9 what does paintball feel like BEST and NEWEST, TOP 9 what does paint the town mean BEST and NEWEST, TOP 9 what does pain under right rib cage mean BEST and NEWEST, TOP 9 what does pain radiating mean BEST and NEWEST, TOP 9 what does pain on right side mean BEST and NEWEST, TOP 9 what does paige drummond do for a living BEST and NEWEST, TOP 9 what does paid partnership mean BEST and NEWEST. Estado de nimo A fancy way to say a persons mood. When letters make sounds that aren't associated w One goose, two geese. paisa. En seguida Straight away, immediately. WebPaisa (also transliterated as pice, pesa, poysha, poisha and baisa) is a monetary unit in several countries. sa p-s 1 plural paisa a monetary subunit of the rupee (Nepal, Pakistan) and taka see rupee, taka at Money Table 2 plural paise p-s a monetary subunit of the Mucho trabajo o qu? Hang around with Colombians for any length of time and youre sure to notice that religion continues to play a large part in their lives. l trabaja mucho para poder mantener a su familia (he works hard to provide for his family). It means somebody from your country, town or region. Buena gente A good person (applies for singular, plural, male and female). Usually heard in the context of insurgent groups or drug traffickers. Acercarse a alguien To go up to someone. (la) apa An extra thrown in for free with a purchase. (It also means a bridge.). Bacano Cool / really good (Medelln). Estar amaado/a To feel settled / at home somewhere. En cunto me lo dejas? Cmo te fue? Often has it been said that the best way to improve in a foreign tongue is to start dating a local. A warning to watch out or be on your guard. Cmo hacemos para llegar? Parce / parcero / parcera Dude / buddy (Medelln). Cuchibarbi A slang-term combining the term cucha (older woman) and barbie to describe a, generally good-looking, older woman who has gone heavy on the plastic surgery and who is interested in younger guys. us. Cunto me cobras para? Que s yo A nice conversation-filler phrase when you need a moment to think. Y usted qu? Qu oso! Cul es el propsito de? Im not going there!). How will we get there? an aluminum coin and monetary unit, one 100th of the rupee of India, Nepal, and Pakistan. Hacerse el gringo To feign ignorance / to play dumb. Whats the price (today)? In fact, faith is so strong, and religious belief so widespread, that many Colombians often take it as read that most everyone they meet will be a Catholic. Ms vale tarde, que ms tarde A jokey adaptation of the phrase Ms vale tarde que nunca (Better late than never), that means Better late, than even later. In Colombia, this mainly means maybe rather than all of a sudden as it would in international Spanish. Quiubo? How to pronounce paisa noun in American English. Llave Friend (interior of the country). No hay peor cosa que [lo que sea] Theres nothing worse than [whatever]. Far from all the below terms are exclusive to Colombia, but sooner or later, they will crop up in your conversations with the locals. Mi llave My friend. Ir de paseo To go on a recreational trip. Perdido can be used literally to mean that someone is lost, but its more frequently heard when someone has dropped out of contact for a while. Translating that literally, word-for-word, Id make only the English phrase, what more?, which gave little clue to the idiomatic meaning of hows it going? or whats up?. Por si las moscas Alternative phrase for por si acaso, meaning just in case. Estar en sano juicio To be of sound mind (sober in Colombia). Por eso Thats why / for that reason. Read more. Conversational Spanish for Colombia video course. Cali is Cali. Como buen colombiano, todo lo deja pa lo ltimo Like any Colombian worth his salt, he leaves everything to the last minute. In India, Nepal, and Pakistan, the paisa currently equals 1100 of a rupee. In Bangladesh, the poysha equals 1100 of a Bangladeshi taka. In Oman, the baisa equals 11000 of an Omani rial . The word paisa is from the Sanskrit term pada ( basic unit), meaning 'quarter part base', from pada "foot or quarter or base" and aa "part or unit". Cachaco/a Mainly used to refer to people from the capital, Bogot. The word in the example sentence does not match the entry word. It sounds ugly). Ms aburrido que mico en un bonsi More bored than a monkey in a bonsai tree (Note that Colombians use the word mico for monkey. El que madruga, dios le ayuda God favours those who get up early (Colombias version of the early bird catches the worm). WebPaisa - slang. unfriendly or unaffectionate). Saludarse To greet each other / to say hi to one another. Amigo/a con derechos Friend(s) with benefits one of several ways to talk about seeing someone casually.

Columbia Restaurant Mango Mousse Cake Recipe, Houses For Rent In Temple, Tx By Private Owner, Primecare Of Citrus Valley Claims Address, Articles P