It looked like two teams who havent got momentum in the season.. Lstid: 20 min. Her mother, Denise, predicted in a birthday card when she was a young girl that she would play in a World Cup because she was her biggest supporter. I remember saying 'What can I do? I was disappointed with our forward play but well work on it. This time last year, she was contemplating retirement, unable to believe she could fully recover from pericarditis, a heart disease, and return to professional football for both club and country (she has 45 caps for England). Mjelde was handed spot-kick responsibilities and put the pain of an injury-ravaged year behind her to dispatch brilliantly into the top corner for her first goal in 18 months. ", She went from the gym to a sponsor appearance with England, her Chelsea/England teammate. In the latter part of the season, when the team finished second in the German Cup and League competitions, she participated in every match for the team. The cruel sting of this tie so much closer, so much more competitive is that there is far more to lose. degree in October 2019 in recognition of her "achievements both on and off the field, particularly her work supporting mental health and wellbeing.". Organize, control, distribute and measure all of your digital content. (modern). So, challenge accepted: I knew I needed to work on that. The team as a whole defended as well as they could, Hayes said. "I also spoke to Georgie [Hodge, Kirby's agent]. Fran Kirby y Jordan Henderson han tenido veranos intensos. All rights reserved. Maren Mjelde Niamh Charles Midfielders Erin Cuthbert Guro Reiten Jessie Fleming Johanna Rytting Kaneryd Jelena Cankovic Sophie Ingle Melanie Leupolz Forwards Lauren James Sam Kerr Pernille Harder Fran Kirby Earlier today, our Blues trained at Cobham training ground ahead of the flight to Barcelona. Eriksson led by example at the heart of the Blues defence and her partnership with Millie Bright seemed to go from strength to strength with each game. We want to do it all for real this time. Thats what she does best, her manager Emma Hayes said of the player who scored once again in the knockout competition. I said that over and over again: 'I'm flying, I'm going to be back, I'm ready. Chelsea will play Arsenal in the FACup final at Wembley on 5 May. Maren Mjelde's name has been associated with Fran Kirby, as these two women footballers reportedly date each other. Chelseas midfield a far more physical proposition than two years ago sought to exploit the areas behind the marauding wingback Rolfo and break quickly against Barcelonas high line. 2023 Eurosport, a Warner Bros. "There are still transitions happening with us too but maybe the collective leadership in my group is further ahead than City.. "I should have seen some of the warning signs: my energy levels, my overall demeanour, my attitude, everything was very sluggish, I was tired and angry, just really angry. That was Chelseas first and to date only Champions League final. So, we cant do much about that, the rules are the rules, the teams are the teams.. That includes Fran Kirby, who made her return from illness in the impressive 3-0 defeat of Tottenham at Stamford Bridge on Sunday. WSL champions Chelsea recovered from their opening-weekend defeat as they beat Manchester City 2-0 thanks to Fran Kirby and Maren Mjelde. Because for both sides, you see injuries mounting and thats what starts to happen when youve got back-to-back games. "There were times I messaged or nearly picked up the phone to Emma and say 'Look I'm sorry, I can't do this anymore'. Having struggled to play through the champions early pressing, City were growing more comfortable and enjoyed a sustained period of growing momentum as the half wore on. "So, we must celebrate her but we also must look after her. Sign up for our FREE daily preview newsletter direct to your inbox. Whether she's breaking the goal-scoring record at Chelsea, scoring four times against Reading or collecting another Player of the Match accolade, it's a straightforward agenda: sofa, meal, Netflix. The returning Ann-Katrin Berger had to make a string of saves in the first half, though it was Kirbys goal that broke the deadlock just before the break when she turned in Guro Reitens perfect centre from close range. Watch more, A performance to build on despite defeat, says Taylor, Gareth Taylor believes City can take plenty of positives from our Barclays Womens Super League clash with Chelsea despite ultimately coming up short. Sarina Wiegman, the England Womens manager, was watching on from the Kingsmeadow stands and it was another of her European champions that broke the games deadlock moments before half-time. The Blues threatened an opening goal inside the first 15 seconds direct from kick-off as Mille Bright played a long ball forward to find Reiten in behind down the left. Fran Kirby. "The colour just emptied from her face," England says. For City, the pressure is on. Chelsea XI:Berger, Bright, James, Reiten (Charles 86'), Kirby, Eriksson, Fleming (Ingle 65'), Mjelde (Perisset 86'), Kerr, Cuthbert, Buchanan, Subs:Musovic, Ingle, Carter, England, Svitkova, Perisset, Kaneryd, Charles, Cankovic, City XI: Roebuck, Casparij, Houghton, Greenwood, Ouahabi, Aleixandri (Losada 84'), Coombs, Castellanos, Hemp (Raso 79'), Shaw (Blackstad 84'), Kelly. She captains the Norway national team in addition to playing as a defender or midfielder for Chelsea. Citys brightest outlet looked to be Nikita Parris down the left, but bar a shot from distance and a through balled poked straight at Hedvig Lindahl there was little direct threat on the Chelsea goal. If only they had been more clinical. "We overplayed and kept playing ourselves into trouble. DOB: 29th June 1993. I remember on Christmas Day, I phoned Francisco [the Chelsea doctor]. Born on June 29, 1993, Kirby was born and reared in Reading with her brother Jamie and parents Denise and Steve. "No one can do that for you. In a 12-team league and 22-game season every point is critical. It was a bruising one-on-one for the former England captain Houghton, who was outpaced under the watchful eye of the Lionesses manager, Sarina Wiegman. You must do that yourself; you must look deep within yourself, especially in troubled times in what you need to do to get out of it. A more competitive Womens Super League they had no bona fide competition for the title the last time they played Barcelona has seen them find new solutions, and brought an edge they didnt always know they needed. I can never wrap my head around it because, you know, I'm just going out and playing football. It was also a change in system as we lined up with a back four. Every WSL player registered for the women's Olympic football event. but in a humorous sort of way." "It didn't feel like we finished the league last year," Kirby says. ", England has seen Kirby at her lowest and at her best. Maren Mjelde's name has been associated with Fran Kirby, as these two women footballers reportedly date each other. "It was strange; everyone had gone their separate ways. Nothing she or her depleted Chelsea squad did would have changed the scoreline. There remains the worry, justified or otherwise, that 1-0 will be too much of a mountain to climb in the away leg. A heavy fixture schedule both are in the semi-finals of the Champions League has seen their league form take a hit. "But it was all about positivity. We were dominating by the second half, comfortable after a poor first half. "Everyone gets to where they want to go if they put the hard yards into it," Hayes says. She takes everything day by day. Fran Kirby has a brother named Jamie Kirby with whom she spent her childhood playing football. Maren Mjelde. Anisha Pandey Kirby then fired just over from distance before James threatened again, driving 40 yards forward down the right before taking aim and firing with power but not enough precision to beat Roebuck. Chelsea Womens season ticket holders should use their season ticket to gain entry. So Hayes told the team Kirby was out with a virus. Fran Kirby and Maren Mjelde - YouTube AboutPressCopyrightContact usCreatorsAdvertiseDevelopersTermsPrivacyPolicy & SafetyHow YouTube worksTest "I was still saying to people 'oh come round, it'll be great to see you!' ', "Did I believe that myself? All rights reserved. A lengthy stoppage as Maria Thorisdottir was carried off with an ankle injury showed no signs of slowing play as City began to knock on the Chelsea door, Georgia Stanway forcing a fingertip save from Lindahl. The England and City captain, Steph Houghton, was at fault when she mistimed a headed clearance to let in Kirby who slotted past the 18-year-old Ellie Roebuck. Emily Osman (GK) - option for a further 12 months. She scored against Germany in a 11 draw in the group stage and played in Norway's second round defeat by England . Mjelde's elder brother, Erik Mjelde, is a former footballer. [8] ? ? Chelsea took full advantage of any weary England legs in the Manchester City starting 11 as Kirby fired them in front inside five minutes. Chelsea's Fran Kirby reveals how she overcame a potential career-ending illness and returned to the top of women's football. Web80K Followers, 452 Posts - @chelseafcw | @kvinnelandslaget | @pumafootball Management: @ness.network [email protected] Substitute Marta Torrejons late shot against the post and Asisat Oshoalas 11th-hour chance could have pushed the game beyond Chelsea. She was previously the women's football reporter for The Daily Telegraph, where she was the first full-time women's football reporter on a national paper. The matches between the traditional top three of Arsenal, Chelsea and City have played an important role in determining the outcome of the league. Chelsea are at the top of the WSL and have a 2-0 lead over Atletico Madrid in the last-16 of the Champions League. Kirby played against boys while attending Caversham Park Primary School and Chiltern Edge in Sonning Common. Jag visste att ngot var fel, men inte exakt hur allvarligt det var Det var som en sorg, faktiskt. Our best chance of the afternoon came seconds after Kirby's opener, as Laura Coombs latched onto Chloe Kelly's deflected cross to fire on target, but Ann-Katrin Berger deflected the ball onto the post expertly. ", "I knew I needed help, that something really bad was going on. "I just needed to get away from the negativity and my phone," she tells ESPN. 2011-2023 Sports Mole Ltd. All rights reserved. She has reportedly endorsed brands such as Swarovski, Nike, Wow, Protein Water Company, and Hydrate. Even she was starting to doubt herself. The game is scheduled to kick-off at 14:00 BST at the Academy Stadium, and you can purchase tickets here. Against Ukraine in a qualifying play-off for the latter event, Mjelde scored her maiden goal for Norway. Watch the best of the action from our Barclays Women's Super League defeat to Chelsea. And I've seen that damage and what it's done to her.". The Getty Images design is a trademark of Getty Images. Check out the latest training Kirby had collapsed. Maren Mjelde's powerful spot-kick after a handball delivered the final blow. I remember talking to Claire Rafferty [ex-England and Chelsea left back, now part of the Chelsea commercial staff] and I told her how ill I felt, and she said to me, 'If this is the end, what are your plans?' Laia Aleixandri was chosen to sit in front of the defence, giving Laura Coombs and Deyna Castellanos licence to get forward. At what point did Barcelona realise that? A standing ovation greeted the striker as she made way for Aluko shortly afterwards, rested, no doubt, for Chelseas midweek trip to Everton and then Sundays visit of Wolfsburg, who have twice knocked the London side out of the Champions League. Then a little bit of outdoor training, then back with the ball, then upping the intensity. "I'm not too proud to admit that it's something I'd struggled with. MX23RW : Monday, May 1 12:07:00| >> :120:64717:64717: ID:483462:1false2false3false:QQ:: from db desktop :LenBod:collect2177: Click here for more stories about Fran Kirby, Click here for more stories about Chelsea Women. Pernille Harder (FW) We needed to be better on the ball in the right moments. I was not getting any better and remember calling him crying -- I mean, he was trying to celebrate the day with his family, but I just felt helpless. She kept her diagnosis private and retreated into her shell; all the while, speculation grew on social media over her absence. The win moves Chelsea up to fifth in the early league table, while City remain pointless and are third from bottom. Shes great in the FA Cup. We almost hit back instantly, but Coombs' accurate effort from eight yards after Chloe Kelly's cross was turned onto the post superbly by the agile Berger. Her pass was behind her teammate and Kirby could only get the weakest of shots away, which was blocked. Ann-Katrin Berger, Magda Eriksson, Sam Kerr, Fran Kirby and Maren Mjelde have been named in the PFA Barclays FA Womens Super League Team The season's halfway done, but Kirby doesn't want to look ahead. Kerr messaged her to say the same. Having a public figure like Fran to talk about these things is inspirational.". She especially loves true crime documentaries, and, for a week last year, Kirby played detective when she sought out a recording of the emergency call that her friend made after she fell gravely ill in November 2019. Hayes visible frustration when those moves didnt quite come off betrayed how vital those chances were. She was eating dinner with her closest friends and teammates, Beth England and Maren Mjelde, at home, and suddenly felt awful. With two league meetings unable to separate the sides this season, this FACup semi-final match-up was the first chance to see these side go head to head and be forced to fight for a win. However, in stark contrast to the first 45 minutes, chances were at a premium for both sides in the second period, the game becoming increasingly scrappy in the battle for possession. "I was an advocate of getting [Kirby] off social media," Hayes tells ESPN. Wholesale changes to the squad cannot be an excuse for long. Kirby remembers the ringing in her ears and trying to tell the emergency responder how she felt. This was an open encounter, with neither team able to maintain possession in the way they both like. By Chelsea Womens first home game of the season ended in victory as the Blues got their first points on the board in the Womens Super League at a sold-out Kingsmeadow. Prior to picking up a knee injury in the Continental League cup final which ruled her out for the remainder of the season, Mjelde was a consistent standout performer for the Blues. That they didnt is, after all, exactly what Hayes wanted. With Kirby sitting out the trip to Sarajevo to protect a hamstring niggle the London club clearly benefited from more rested legs. She was ranked 10th when she was named to the Ballon d'Or shortlist in 2021. 04 Jun 21. Chelsea (4-2-3-1) Berger; Mjelde (Perisset 86), Bright, Buchanan, Eriksson (c); Cuthbert, Fleming (Ingle 65); James (Kaneryd 90+1), Kirby, Reiten (Charles 86); KerrUnused subs Musovic, Carter, England, Svitkova, CankovicScorers Kirby 42; Mjelde 78, Manchester City (4-3-3) Roebuck; Casparij, Houghton (c), Greenwood, Ouahabi; Aleixandri (Losada 85), Castellanos, Coombs, Kelly, Shaw (Blakstad 85), Hemp (Raso 79)Unused subs MacIver, Keating, Stokes, Fowler, Angeldahl, HutchingsBooked Ouahabi 52. tickets are still available to purchase online. "In the course of my 25-year career, I've never seen a player transform their life as much as I've seen her from a place of difficulty, disruption, despair to joy, to gratitude, to application," Hayes tells ESPN. Playing a vital role in getting those clean sheets were defenders Eriksson and Mjelde. I used to go around to my teammates that 'we don't lose, we're not losing, that's not going to happen.' Maren Mjelde scores Chelseas second goal from the penalty spot. "The things she's been through are hurtful things," England says. Following a breathless start under the slate grey skies at a sold-out Kingsmeadow, the contest settled down into the midfield battleground and goalmouth action was limited until Mjelde read the danger expertly and produced a brilliant block to thwart Kelly just before the half-hour mark. In 2005, she joined the Arna-Bjrnar club in Norway at 15. She felt better. Ideally, Chelsea should have dictated the pace of this match given there will be no opportunity to do so next week, but that was always a tall ask. Amid a frantic opening 10 minutes, the Blues conjured the best passing move of the early stages after Erin Cuthbert initiated the move from midfield with a clever switch of play to the left. Tap into Getty Images' global scale, data-driven insights, and network of more than 340,000 creators to create content exclusively for your brand. Fr Fran Kirby och Jordan Henderson var sommaren minst sagt hndelserik. Sam Kerr was an obvious out ball for Chelsea in those moments when Rolfo moved centrally but Barcelona were unprepared for her effectiveness at linking up with Reiten. There is an international break now, so Taylor's side are next in WSL action on Sunday 16 October, playing host to Leicester City. Match report Fran Kirby and a Maren Mjelde penalty give Chelsea their first WSL victory of the season despite an impressive first-half performance from Manchester "It [the illness] could have been worse," Kirby says. Chelsea have not this season hit the heights of performance that the dizzying combination of Fran Kirby and Sam Kerr took them to two years ago but, on balance, they are probably better at grinding out results when the odds are against them. She went public with her illness in February 2020 and received messages of support -- including an email from a lady called Lilian, who said she had suffered from pericarditis and had put her own love of sports on hold. The English footballer is 1.57 m tall. Berger was forced to make a key stop to keep out Lauren Hemp 10 minutes before the break, having initially prevented Mjelde conceding a corner but handing the ball straight back to the Lionesses forward.

How Many Actors Played Big Daddy'' Hollingsworth, How Many Pages Is 40,000 Words In A Book, Mountainair Ranger District Wood Permits, Articles M