Nothing is sold at gun point. I, Play the Impulse mono`s with a true mono cartridge. Every tape machine in a proper recording studio is calibrated directly before the recording session to make sure it is performing to spec using alignment tapes and an oscilliscope. Did Teo ever say why he hated the Sony releases? Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by youraveragevinylcollector, Mar 22, 2016. It's my understanding that the Columbia curve was only used until 1955 or there about. No point now crying over degaussed tape or whatever happened. Green Dolphin Street was recorded just before the Kind of Blue sessions and features the same line up John Coltrane tenor sax, Bill Evans piano, Jimmy Cobb drums and Paul Chambers bass. Price: US $9.99. The 50th Anniversary issue is a pretty blue color! Instrumental timbers are natural and textures rich. Would you know which pressing that would be? Unfortunately, the Kind of Blue mono master tape no longer exists. You might find this review informative: Now not quite so "new" to Head-Fi but not new to headphones, audio, music and especially jazz. And sometimes each version has its own equally attractive but different qualities.

. In no special order, a handful of lacquers were selected to press white label promotional copies for distribution to reviewers and disk jockeys mono (red text label) and stereo (black text label), with the text DEMONSTRATION, and NOT FOR SALE on the label. 1A stereo is only found paired with higher value letter (e.g. I didn't realize Music On Vinyl was releasing this same version on RSD as the Columbia pressing. However, stereo tracks send two different channels, one for each speaker. Other fonts were used by printers for other plant locations. And remember: with limited tracks available in the early days of multitrack recorders, groups would record and fill all four tracks then mix those down to one track. LP review by Andrew Cartmel). All other pressingseven the re-released copies from second and third generation mothers in 1959 and 1960 which sound very very good, are not the original artthey are approximations made at a later date with mastering notes recalled from the original session. 9 Modern Album of Terre Haute, IN when supplying Chicago Jacksonville, IL plant. starbucks red cup campaign; best practice interventions debriefing; toni cornell height; shafer middle school staff; who are lester holt's parents; lift up the downtrodden meaning; Fortuitously, an error was made in the track listing of the Side 2 label. But just to make it crystal clearTao has gone on record many times to state he was always futzing with the speed of Miles's tracks to make sure the "groove felt right". Matrix 1A/1A with Side 2 track-listing error, an example. Since the mono tapes apparently no longer exist, recent monophonic reissues (yes, some people do prefer mono) were created by mixing down the three tracks on the backup stereo master to a single track. But most importantly, the music experience is complete and organically "whole," making a strong case for the superiority of the mono mix. Yes, its not as ethereally spacious, but it better layers and balances the instruments in my opinion and if you remain unconvinced that mono can produce three-dimensionality, this record will convince you. Thanks again Michael! Hence promos are all proven pre 11/59. The most frequently occurring matrix code on mono pressings is D, which was also used in manufacturing promos; after that, AC, AE, and AJ. 2 of them are friends and the 3rd one is my father-in-law. Flamenco Sketches), US first commercial release six eye label -Stereo, Early vs later pressing Side 2 stereo initialtrack listing error. No other letters were found. I actually worked with Kind of Blue producer Teo Macero back in 2000, shortly before his death. So can anyone recommend me which versions should I own ? There must be a mechanical reason why they are mostly though not always offset mirrored pairs (Side 1 stamper from one lacquer, side 2 stamper from another lacquer)and not symmetrical pairs (e.g.1E/1E), possibly to run two presses simultaneously, or to ensure metal sets from each lacquer wear equally, but that is for another day. The stereo releases from 1959 to 1992 had the songs on side-A slightly sharp in pitch. The three-track recording produced three distinct channels and nothing you could legitimately call "stereo". Some of these later re-releases from later generation mothers are better than others.and you may "prefer" the slower speed of the re-mastered "corrected" versions.you may "prefer" the re-mixed (terrible) versions as welljust know that they are not 100% the original intent of the artists involved. (LJC: so 1G and 1H would be the 2ndcutfrom Santa Maria)That way they could easily keep track of how many replacements were needed for each plant. There may have been 27 lacquers cut but many letters never appear, and only a limited number of lacquers appear to have been actually used for pressing. I just bought the 24/192 versions of KOB (mono and stereo) and they sound great. 6 Imperial Packing Co., Inc. of Indianapolis, IN when suppling West Coast pressing plant It very well may have been erased and the tape re-used. You can 'see' further into the mix and hear a clear delineation of direct and echo chamber sound as well as what sounds like 30th street studio room sound. Most but not all lacquers used to press promos (A, G,D and H) went on to be used to press the commercial release. A 1st cutting; B 2nd; C 3rd; D 4th;E 5th; F 6th; Bonus enjoyment if you have a 5.1 setup. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Miles Davis Kind of Blue (CD) Mono & Stereo Collector's Album (US IMPORT) at the best online prices at eBay! The 81 is the only mono Pepper that impresses me. Ended: Apr 29, 2023 , 5:16PM. And Crosley, maker of the cheap, groove chewing turntables is a participant. DE 49th;ad infinitum. No, by the time I got interested in old mono pressings, the price on Piper had gotten too high. Is there any evidence to indicate that the mono was mixed from the same 3-track tape as the stereo? Metal from 1A and 1B lacquers was still being used some years later, mix and match. CD 37th; CE 38th; CF 39th; CG 40th; CH 41st; CJ 42nd; Enter a Crossword Clue. But's it not hybrid so for the Op I'd say the MFSL's redbook is sublime. I love the latest MFSL 2LP 45rpm, rapidly became my go to copy. Even more amazing that no one has taken on a project to "clean it up", or to maybe offer a cleaned and an uncleaned version side by side, so as to appease the purists. Both are difficult to get but worth seeking out. Unanswered Question Conventional Wisdom does not explaintheasymmetrical pairing is Side 1 and Side2 lacquers. Again, I'm very happy with my Columbia RSD pressing. That is not the edition to which I am referring. LPs deriving from a digital source should be anathema to analog purists (like myself) but the Music On Vinyl Kind of Blue sounds terrific, crisp and precise, yet never lacking in warmth or immediacy. Give me a rest from dissecting records. Canadian pressings, from 1954 through 1971, were pressed by Quality Records Ltd. for Columbia Records Of Canada Ltd. There's zero evidence the speed issue was anything other than a technical fault with one of the tape machines. Who knows? The Crossword Solver finds answers to classic crosswords and cryptic crossword puzzles. In afurther variation the word UNBREAKABLE under the catalogue number disappears. The stereo version, which they were very apathetic on, works to our advantage because they didn't use as much compression, they just turned it up and hit start! I suspect the mono masters were damaged or very worn, and didn't meet technical standards. One of the interesting discoveries made in 1992 when the tapes were first exhumed, was that Side 1 of the stereo issue, consisting of the tracks recorded at the first session, So What, Freddie Freeloader and Blue in Green, had been playing at the wrong speed since 1959. There is some evidence to indicate that an actual mono tape wasn't made, though I understand that it was customary to run both machines simultaneously during the time that KOB was recorded. How far is the Kind of Blue manufacturing system representative of that of other Columbia titles? (You must log in or sign up to reply here. It is a blue coloured record. Columbia was a major, not the sort of small operator that would use up wrong labels to save money. Keeping them separate and sending them left, center and right produced "stereo" in name only. The record industry says, conservatively,one master lacquercangenerate at least five mothers of acceptable quality, each mothercan generate atleast five stampers, with each stamper capable of pressing around 4,000 albums. Both mono and stereo six-eyes with a uniquely Canadian touch. I saw Arthur's comments about distortion and as I was listening I instantly understood what Arthur was commenting on. Or the mono tapes went missing. When KOB was originally recorded, Columbia ran simultaneous mono and three-track stereo tape recorderstwo each, one of each being for safety back-up. Hi michael, Do you know about Music on vinyl in EU. I caughtone seller claiming he had a 1A/1A in the auction headline which later in the description expanded to 1AC/1AE. Sometimes that works okay but other times not. It was my understanding that the 2x45rpm MoFi reissue we've been waiting two years for was going to be mono as well? There may not be much significance the matrix code being an early alpha beyond mono A-B-C. Is earlier betterand closer to the source? Arthur. Looking at theYouTube video and write-upon HD tracks and on the sister site: http://www.audiostream.com/content/miles-davis-kind-blue-again. I purchased one of the Dino-Lite USB microscopes and intend on using it to see how well my RCM is working. that is no longer there. So unless you have a bucket of cash and shell out for an OG mono your better off . I just finished comparing the HD tracks 24/192 wave files with theJapanese SACD and the Legacy vinyl (not the poorly pressed blue vinyl). Instead, instruments were left/center/right with the two track mix folding the center channel to both the left and right channels. I don't know a lot about record store day. Only one -1A/ -1B/ or -1Cstereo six-eye was found, claimed as mythical 1B/1B of which I am highly sceptical. Kind of Blue was recorded in both mono and three track stereo at Columbia's 30th St Studios. this can result in this site earning a commission. Another fifteen lacquers contribute to the final tally of all those found. The Sonys don't sound bad by any stretch, I just prefer the MoFi's more relaxed sound. I can bang on about the best pressing of Led Zep albums and all my other traditional genres - but that's of no value here. :thmbsp: Monaural Cartridge Miyajima: " Spirit MONO high out-put " p.s. Each lacquer is merely one cutting from the first master tape mix, all manufactured at the same time. Mostly these are high values like BC/BGand BH/BJ , close to the CBS overprint and transition to two-eye label (1962/63) where lacquers from the third cohort 1CA to 1CL begin to appear. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register. Quite a lot, as it happens. Many sellers omitted mention of matrix codes completely, oridentified only one side, on the assumption the other side would be the same (they are usually not). The Crossword Solver found 30 answers to "Kind of blue", 4 letters crossword clue. Close micd saxophones often reveal the sound of the reed vibrating or "buzzing" especially when the sax is played somewhat softly as it is during the heads of So What. Analog Planet - 24 Sep 13 Miles Davis "Kind of Blue" Monophonic Reissue From Sony/Legacy: An Analog. Progress, what is it with that word that it manges to bug me so often? 3 Modern Album of Long Island, NY I haven't had a chance to turn it up yet but it seems the instruments are further up in the mix and I could hear deeper into the background. I just received my RSD numbered copy today and it has the same feel as my original pressing. The artist name and album title are set in Erbar Light Condensed font, used by Bridgeport and which went on to be used in label printing for Pitman. Click here if you want this pressing without paying 4-20x retail (Come on now, you really should be ashamed of yourselves). Guess I know what I'll be treating myself to. I am not convinced the first stereo pressings followed the 1A/ 1B/ 1C/ route at all. Stereo promos were produced from four lacquers: E, K, AC and AE. What you are hearing is the "buzzing" of the reed on the sax. The original mono LPs did not have this problem because they were cut from a different tape from a different recorder. Since I was just listening to this new reissue from Sony on mono, I thought I would revisit Mikey's writing about it. I've read about Sony releasing great albums, but how do I participate in Record Store Day? http://www.musiconvinyl.com/catalog/miles-davis/kind-of-blue-mono#more. The majority of 1A and 1Bmatrix pairs are found as Side 2 paired with a higher letter on Side 1 (e.g. All rights reserved. One of the quirks of jacket manufacture was the code used by the giant fabricator Imperial Packing, Indianapolis, changed according to the pressing plants it was supplying 4 for US Central (Terre Haute) and 6 when supplying West Coast (Hollywood). And it makes sense in local marketing expertise: getting promos to their local radio station disk jockeys. I'm not extremely happy with the MOFI pressing that I bought recently. So many people out there. Should the Miles mono reissues ideally be played with a mono cart? Usually this meant speeding up the playback to keep things sounding tighter.he usually did this by wrapping the capstan of the machine with thin splicing tape. The mono Pepper has always struck me as sort of staid but I'm a stereo guy. They can't find the tapes. Previously overlooked, there is some evidence that the distribution of promos and possibly manufacture may have been the work of more than one plant, possibly three. I was thinking about the 2x180g version by classic records, can anyone comment about the sound and QC on that one ? 5 Modern Album of Terre Haute, IN I picked it up about six months ago and like it a lot. Regarding the mono edition, it can be argued thelacquers used to generate promos are the genuine first pressing, then 1A,1B and 1C and a handful of 1D among the very earliest commercial release copies, evidenced by the presence of the Side 2 label track-listing error. Another, more welcome, discovery on inspecting the master tapes was that a complete alternate take of one tune still existed. For the conversion of the signal to sound, mono sound requires one channel. 1B/1B, 1B/1C, 1B/1E, 1B/1H, 1B/1J, 1C/1D, 1C/1F, 1C/1G, 1C/1H, 1C/1J, 1D/1AC, 1D/1D, 1D/1E, 1E/1D, 1G/1H, 1H/1L, 1J/1B 1AA/1F, 1AA/1G, 1AD/1AF, 1AE/1AG. The two stereo tapes were stored safely in a vault for over three decades before anyone thought of taking them out for remastering. The process-control system to keep track of lacquers, mothers and stampers did not require matching or sequencing, becauseit did not matter which lacquer was used, as they were all the same as long as you had a Side 1 and a Side 2 stamper mounted in the press. The mono original (and reissue) provides a better overall instrumental balance, with greater emphasis on the piano and more solid imaging. The number of channels used while recording and listening to audio is the primary distinction between Mono and Stereo sound. So, typically: XLP12345 1A, Five digit recording serial number, followed by a hyphen. I can crank the MoFi much more and it just fills the room, letting the music breathe.

1:32 Scale Truck Accessories, Guadalupe Landfill Hours Of Operation, Duplex For Rent Temple, Tx, Articles K