It is our hope that This map belowshows the area to be destroyed to build the docks. This town proved detrimental to Purysburgh, being in the heart of the county and near the capital; it drew people thither, who did not care to go to Purysburgh. Perhaps we could compare notes. I had Simmons and other lines arrive with them. Enjoy! He was a vinedresser and left Switzerland to work in the vineyards of the Rhine Valley. Over the years, their friends and family in Ireland started to follow them to Canada, and soon you had settlements in Ontario full of Irish Palatine names such as Barkman, Dolmage, Embury, Fizzell, Heck, Lawrence, Ruttle, Switzer, Sparling, and Teskey - to name a few. Sililar heading 25 days 10th July to this day. . Before the Moravians came to Pennsylvania, a respectable number of Schwenkfelders and arrived, settling in Bucks and Philadelphia county, now Montgomery, Berks and Lehigh. Yay! (Even though Im not descended from the Wagners.). Being encouraged by the government both of England and Carolina, he undertook to settle a colony of Swiss there. My sources for Johann Friedrich Haegar are: 1) US and Canada, Passenger Immigration Lists Index, 1500s-1900s, an Ancestry.com database indicating he came to New York in 1709; 2) he is also listed in American Immigrant Minister, 1690-1811 by Gerald Fothergill, also found on Ancestry.com; and 3) The German Element in the United States, Vol 1, chpt 4, The First Exodus-The Palatine Immigration to New York. I too descend from many Palatines. In fact, decades later, many were still trying to obtain their free land to which they were just sure they were entitled. 61 days 5th August to this day. This does NOT increase the price you pay but helps me to keep the lights on and this informational blog free for everyone. Manywere first were assigned to work camps along the Hudson River to work off the cost of their passage. In 1710, Jacob along with his wife and child continued on to America, in fact, settlingeventually ina location that would be named after him, Cobleskill, NY. p. The firm Hope provided eight ships of which the Winter Galley was one. Many of these men were assigned so-called Hunter List numbers when they arrived in New York State. WebAnspach, Arendorff, Barthel, Baest, Batzin, Bauch, Bell, Bellinger, Bender, Berg, Bergman, Bernhardt, Betzer, Bierman, Blass, Bonenstiehl, Bonroth, Borst, Brack, Braun, Briegel, Bruchle, Buck, Burckardt, Busch, Clevenius, Conrad, Dachstatter, Dahles, Daether, Deuchert, Dill, Dillenbachin, Dings, Donsbach, Dopff, Dorn, Dreschler, Drumbaur, Drumm, On the inward passage, and immediately on landing, seventeen hundred died. Hello cousin. Scarcely had the Mennonites commenced making their lands arable, when they sent a commissioner, Martin Kendig, to Germany and to Switzerland, to induce others to come to Pennsylvania. Penn's liberal views, and illiberal course of the government of New York toward the Germans, induced many to come to this Province. Compiled from the records in London and Presented to the descendants of the Numerous men descended from that family have done y-dna testing and they came back haplogroup C-M217 almost unheard of in Europe and best known for its possible connection to Genghis Khan! One reason is the revelation last week that the Biden for President campaign helped to organize the open letter that spread disinformation about Hunter Bidens famous Over 3,000 had left London England almost 6 Would love to work with you on further exploration of our cousins. of the First Palatines to London England 1709, Embarkation themselves and their families subsistance debtors to the Queens most Sacred Today I found a FABULOUS resource for Palatine history in the Mohawk Valley: the newspaper St Johnsville NY Enterprise, which ran genealogy and history columns from about 1920 to the 1950s (a Mohawk Valley version of the Boston Transcript). Our driver, whose name was Said, was beyond wonderful, and he wove a tour into the quilt shop visits. Police Department Of Palatine average salary is 112 percent higher than USA average and median salary is 129 percent higher than USA median. What to do? Another family line arrived in Philadelphia in 1738 they are not part of the 1709/10 group, but they *did* come from the Palatinate in roughly the same era, from from Bosenbach near Kusel. He was Johann Friedrich Haegar, the son of Johann Henrich Haegar and Anna Catherine Friesenhagen. [1] Three principal sources documenting the identities of individuals involved in this large migration are: (1) The Rotterdam Sailing Lists of 1709 (Holland), (2) The London Census of Palatines of 1709 (England), (3) The Hunter Subsistence Lists 1710-1712 (New York). Since 1606, millions have left their homes, the dearest spots on earth, whither the heart always turns. A woman, Doris, was my room angel at a conference where I was speaking about DNA years ago ironically, the Palatinate of America conference. Here this small colony erected some huts or long cabins, to serve temporarily as shelters. They started The Old Stoney Creek Church. 130 Mannor of Livinsgton 24 June 1712. . Geni requires JavaScript! I have sent the link to this article to all the representatives to this group from the partner societies. Epic Urgent Care PC. Several such wells are to be found in the locality but some have been partly filled in for safety purposes. The first boats packed with refugees began arriving in early May 1709. They were made of strong stuff indeed. Newburg is the place of this settlement. Between forty and fifty thousand left their native country "their hearths where soft affections dwell." However, because 19th-century authors typically did not use modern-style citations, we need instead to look for informal descriptions of where their information came from. Mar. Try this link http://www.threerivershms.com/names.htm as a start. During the Spanish and French War, in 1746, Waldoborough was laid in ashes by some Canadian Indians. A visit to Embury and Heck memorial church contains a horn blown by the burgermeister or Palatine leader to summon general meetings in the early days of the colony. The postcard below shows Cobleskill Creek in Coblesill, NY. for 4 days subsistance distributed. Roberta, you may already have this knowledge in your impressive arsenal, but having lived in Switzerland for 10 years, I can say with some confidence that Egli is a Swiss name. P. While this project was initially focused on Kobel/Coble males, anyone who descends from a Kobel/Cobel line is welcome to join. WebThe following list of Tryon County, New York residents being held by the British was found in the Revolutionary War Rolls in the United States' National Archives by Fort Plank Historian Ken D. Johnson on June 4, 2008. The survivors were encamped in tents, the had brought with them from England, on Nutting, now Governor's Island. that there were unlisted settlement on the east side. Genealogical Links to Help Your Research My spouses ex is a Palantine descendant (Abraham Defoe, Christoph and Henrich Ketzbach, Johann Georg Reiffenberger lines). Palatine Research Learn more. I say probably because its a line believed to connect to my line, from a group that went to NC. Im zeroing in on precise timeframes and locations in my search for Gertrudes family. heads of families or the recipient thus:--2 adults 2 young (i.e. Palatine German Ship Passenger Lists to PA - search for Some perished on ships. Thank you so much for this article. Baltimore: Genealogical Pub. Its possible they too were some of the 1709 group. PALATINE ROOTS:THE 1710 GERMAN SETTLEMENT IN NEW YORK AS EXPERIENCED BY JOHANN PETER WAGNER. Under Diebel. In 1705, a number of German Reformed residing between Wolfenbuttel and Halberstadt, fled to Neuwied, a town of Rhenish Prussia, where they remained some time, and then went to Holland - there embarked, in 1707, for New York. The Kau-ta-tn-chunk (Kittatiny or Blue Mountain) extending from the Delaware hundreds of miles westwards, was not an insurmountable barrier - that they crossed and laid out farms where shortly afterwards they, their wives and children, were exposed to the torch, hatchet and scalping knife of the savages, and their midnight assault and slaughter. This I think someone grabbed a random hint and a bunch of others copied it. My family name in the Rhine valley was keurlis. it, or downloading it; this information is copyrighted items on the site are copyrighted. Subjects Surname Subjects Arnold Bairin Becker Bender Bhler Locality Subjects Ive just forwarded your post to my friend Garry Finkell, president of the New York State chapter of the Palatines To America. A supply of naval stores from this arrangement, had been confidently anticipated. In 1719, some twenty families of Selwartzenau Taufer arrived at Philadelphia. WebGovernor Hunter convinced the Queen that the Palatine men were needed to help defend the Crown areas claimed by the English and cut down lots of trees to make roads, farmland and develop businesses to support the new settlers. Katharine Docks and The Dickens Inn on the current map above, in the lower righthand quadrant. Various influences were brought to bear upon the increase of the influx. Notice there is also a Palatine Y-DNA project at FTDNA: https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/palatine-dna-project/about. A few years afterward, others followed them. You can view the grouping of men that match, in yellow, below. In the spring of 1723, thirty-three families removed and settled in Pennsylvania, in Tulpehocken, some fifteen miles west of Reading. Daniel Diefuh and Maria Barbara with two children were at Beckmansland about 1716/1717 [Semmendinger Register]. Prior to 1770, the wilderness of Pennsylvania was penetrated beyond the Allegheny Mountains. All children over 10 yrs were given the full allowance for an adult and were not distinguished from more mature members of the family. My Gedmatch ID is A206179; my sisters is M712835. Co-administrator The information about their time in England is much appreciated. It was quite a surprise to me some years ago when I learnt that my Irish branch was in fact German! In 1765, upwards of six hundred from the Palatine and Swabia were sent over from London and had a township of land set apart for them. The sad fate of those of Biloxi was spread abroad, which deterred other from coming to participate in the promised blessings of the Elesyan fields, or to possess the Eldorado. Paladin vs hunter - General Discussion - World of Warcraft Forums . I have "A History of Herkimer County" by Nathaniel Soley Benton, "Early Families of Herkimer County New York" by William V.H. In 1751, invited by those in authority, thirty German families, and in 1752, fifteen hundred individuals from Europe, persons of means, settled in Maine. Hunter's account against the Government for the subsistence to the I should have it in a few days. My 5th great grandfather is Melchor Engle 1720-1760 vfrom Palatine Germany. May 1, 2023 7:30 am CT. I did upload the DNA of my dad, my brother, and myself to GEDmatch several months ago, at the request of a relative. C. E. Historians Returning from the Beyond after fixing Kazuwari's problems (or making them worse) is only one part of the problem. Here settled the Weismans, Pressers, Vervalsons, Delongs, Jungs, Martins, Shutts, Peters, Schwartz, Hutters, Cackeys, Abrahams, and others (the first Germans in Western Pennsylvania, located in Greene county. - North Dakota State FB Hunter Luepke - per NFL Network - Mississippi State OLB Tyrus Wheat - per NFL Network, which adds it's a "deal that includes a $20,000 signing June 14th: He had a daughter with her, who also came to NY. . By summer, some were moved to the fields and barns of Blackheath and Camberwell, now part of metropolitan London. Those not designated Cowboys agreed to terms with undrafted rookie WR Jalen Moreno-Cropper from Fresno State, person familiar with deal said. Our ancestors and related families are in red: TOP ILLUSTRATION: A rare document showing signatures of the Palatine listmasters, from 1712. Edenkoben, Palatinate, Bavaria, Germa "Hans Jacob Seltzer was born in 1732 in the Upper Rhine Province, near Coblentz, in the vicinity of the famous Seltzer Springs in Germany. Here they laid out the flourishing town of Lundenburg. Please add your Palatine ancestors to this project. Maria Barbaramarried Johann Jacob Schaeffer, a member of another 1709er Palatinate family. The faster they could make the return voyage, the more profits they could realize. WIKITREE PROTECTS MOST SENSITIVE INFORMATION BUT ONLY TO THE EXTENT STATED IN THE TERMS OF SERVICE AND PRIVACY POLICY. 860-388-4657 Email: [email protected] Theres a lot of potential there. Teeple People: Hunter Lists There are apparently 8 people with the Egli surname who have tested, but the only one I could find in any project was from France. Religious persecution, political oppression drove thousands to Pennsylvania - to the asylum from the harrassed and depressed sons and daughters of the relics of the Reformation, whither William Penn himself invited the persecuted of every creed and religious opinion. Its not there now. Ernst Emichen was our immigrant ancestor from Worms, Germany in 1709-10, who settled in NY. Another relative, possibly a nephew of this Jacob, a John Albright, left Pennsylvania and migrated with several families, one being a Jacob Martin. 2,600 Palatines, driven from their homes by the ravages of two wars and religious persecution ( the Palatinate is along the Rhine river ), arrived at Nutten Island ( Governors Island ). You can click to enlarge. The New York City Council protested the arrival of 2500 disease laden passengers within their jurisdiction and demanded that the Palatines stay in tents on Nutten (Governors) Island, offshore. Its somehow a supreme irony that the former poorest area, the waterfront tenement slums, are now the posh area. It may help me finally breach a brick wall that has lasted about 100 years! Great, Great, Great, Great Grandparents of John Delos Smith I rather suspect by the time the family left Germany they had long forgotten their Asian origins. I checked the Family Tree DNA Y database and discovered no Cobel, Kobel or derivative surname, so I started the Kobel/Coble Y DNA project. Soon an alternate image of the poor Palatine refugees emerged. My dad (kit #A401371) matches your kit #A206179, 7.2 cM on Chromosome 20. ). Roberta, once more you have created magic. The exciting new world of genetic genealogy awaits you. For now, Ive arranged an interlibrary loan but would love to have the copy since she details so much about the groups migration. It took them three full weeks. Thanks Roberta for the inspiration. Ive found that the definitive genealogical work for our 1710s (when many arrived in the American Colonies) is The Palatine Families of New York: a study of the German immigrants who arrived in colonial New York in 1710, Henry Z. Jones This Doris Wheeler. In the 1830s, 185 families left Ireland and settled in Canada - mainly Ontario. of age and 4d per diem for children under 10 years. In 1739, a number of Lutherans and German Reformed purchased a tract of land from General Waldo, and laid out the town Waldoborough, in Lincoln county, Maine. 5/1231. Weiser came back to New York in 1723. The site of the old Wesleyan Chapel where the Palatines worshipped may be seen today, also some of the old Palatine houses. Palatine Ships to New York The unparalleled ravages and desolations by the troops of Louis XIV under Turenne, were the stern prelude to bloody persecutions. [email protected] . Statement Our family story does not tell about the treatment of the Palatines by the French Army, but relates that the winter of 1708-09 was the worst weather on record. That religion became what is known today as the Evangelical Church of America. Welcome Page of the Schoharie County NYGenWeb Site. In 1723, some thirty-three Palatine families, dissatisfied under Governor Hunter's rule, migrated from In the meantime, while those were transported to North Carolina, and to New York, three thousand six hundred Germans were transfered to Ireland; seated upon unimproved lands in the county of Limerick, near Arbela and Adair; others, in the town of Rathkeale, where their descendants still reside, and are known to this day, as German Palatines, preserving their true German character for industry, thrift and honorable dealing. Im trying to confirm/rule out the surname Schaffer as that of his 5th great-grandmother. WebGovernor Hunter's Ration Lists June, 1710 to September, 1714 Compiled from the records in London and Presented to the descendants of the Palatines by BOYD EHLE. My ancestors, the 1709ers, camped there and I wanted to visit that area or at least see it from a distance. His chief German researcher, Carla Mittelstaedt-Kubaseck literally went village to village searching old church books seeking 1709ers origins. Try http://www.bookfinder.com from time to time. Michael enlisted December 1, 1777 in Captain Bentley's Company, 3rd Virginia Regiment, commanded by Col. John Neville, formally known at Name Henrich Henry Shenkel of Palatine Families Remaining in New York 1710. Hunter Dickinsons next college could bring him back to his high school days. Employees Number 405 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Advertisement The book made me celebrate all the marvelous coincidences that continues to happen in my family research. follow will find reason to be grateful for the thoughtfulness of Mr. Ehle Dickinson, the Michigan star who entered the transfer portal last month, will visit Villanova on Friday. They eventually settled in the Schoharie area. My Gedmatch ID is A206179; my sister is M712835. Web"Johannes Straub (Hunter Lists #747)" from The Palatine Families of New York, 1007-08, the author lists the children of Heinrich Straub and Anna Maria Spickerman. The coast, so poor and beggarly at first, and once known as the German coast, has since become the producer and the receptacle of such wealth, so as to be now know by the appropriate name of Coast of Gold. 172 days from 6 October 1711 to this day. I too descend from Jost Henrich Schaffer http://doriswheeler.org/p133.htm#i3962 and many more Palatines. This area has been made into a lovely waterfront park which includes the docks of course, and thehistoricDickens Inn, shown with the red hanging baskets, above. They tried to make life as normal as possible. Surely no kindlier Hunter Dickinson to the Big East? Add another school to his visit list Although 6 notations are given in the journal, only two are given here, 1710 and 1712. Book of Names, Governor Hunter's Ration Lists Johan Peter Wagner is my relation and his story is Palatine Roots by Nancy Wagoner Dixon 1994. Your blog posts are wonderful. p. Drollinger/Trollinger/Trolinger/Trulinger/Drullinger. Here is their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/IGGPartnership/. She published the list in an Appendix to: Frank Diffenderffer extensively documented the origins, reasons for leaving, escape routes and living conditions of these Palatine refugees throughout their journey: O'Neill and Hatcher prepared a study of the 1709ers who settled in Ulster County, see Ulster County, New York Immigration. A combination of economic hardship causd by war and a severe winter led to the exodus. On the day of our arrival, after finally finding our hotel, walking from a train station pulling heavy bags, we discovered that the travel agent had not made the reservation for the correct days. Berry Enterprises. They camped on Blackheath until December 1709, according to the New York City Reformed Churchbook, then went on board ship, but did not sail until April. Bremen, a village in the same county, and Frankfort, in Waldo county, were undoubtedly laid out, or settled by Germans, as the names would indicate. Embarkation Lists to England, 2nd to 6th Sailings. In 1711 gypsies were described as this race of vermin., By the beginning of August, the people of London had visited their camps and the poor Palatine refugees had not lived up to their billing. This will give you better tools and access to people who have tested with other DNA companies (FamilytreeDNA, 23andMe). Categories: Palatine Migration | Palatine Ships | Province of New York, Immigrants from Holy Roman Empire, WIKITREE HOME | ABOUT | G2G FORUM | HELP | SEARCH. under 10 The old ship ties still exist at St. Katherines docks. Rather than being fit objects of charity, they had become, in the words of an anonymous pamphleteer, a parcel of vagabonds, who might have lied comfortably enough in their native country, had not the laziness of their dispositions and the report of our well-known generosity drawn them out of it.. Palatines 1710-1713 each having the certificates and the seal of New York Source: http://person.ancestry.com/tree/47958584/person/12967180411. Players will show growth and development and the new rookies and free agents are going to show what they have Their first child, Maria Anna Devoe was born about 1700 in the Palatinate on the Rhine. Among the massacred were many Germans - more than 300 in all. They have removed both mtDNA (including me) and autosomal and deal only with Y-DNA. Or browse general columns by searching Daniel Teffa aged 30, Marianna Teffa aged 11, and Abraham Teffa aged 7, were in New York City 1710/11. Especially This is the third life of St. Katherines. 644 S Sutton Rd, Streamwood, IL 60107 (708) 733-7750. where I found tons of info by searching You can see the church and cloisters and surrounding small streets and houses. Consider where and how the work was published. Daniel Thevoz, ege 24, with his wife, a son aged 6, and a daughter aged 8, were among the first arrivals in England, according to the London Lists. This DNA Project is designed specifically to encourage the testing and analysis of your DNA for genealogical purposes, especially with regard to furthering our knowledge of our Palatine ancestors and family history. With the help of the hotel, we were able to do so, but it took a couple of hours that we didnt have to spend. England became desperate to get rid of this group of people they hadnt wanted nor invited and who couldnt support themselves. Since you mentioned specifically Johann Peter Schaeffer (born c1640), I thought you would have his DNA Haplogroup. HAVING ONE OF THE TARGET SURNAMES DOES NOT GUARANTEE ELIGIBILITY TO JOIN. I have a Palatine family Everett that stayed in Limerick, Ireland for 100 years and then moved to Australia. Copyright Did some intense searching online and found a current email address for the author; expect Ill hear from her soon. Thank you so much for this interesting article on the Palatinates. It seems incredible that such a wave of migration could occur, and today no one even knows of it! He pointed out that the proprietors had only a modest rent. From this area on the Thames near St. Katherines, you can see Tower Bridge, locatedbeside the Tower of London. Doris The Germans, being unjustly oppressed, became dissatisfied both with their treatment, and with their situation. Given that I certainly cant test my Y DNA (females dont have Y DNA) for the 1709er lines, I need to find males who descend from these family lines to test. It is their form of diminutive. Note that the spellings of names on these lists should not be assumed to match the spellings that the people's baptisms and marriages were registered under in Europe. Not a few died from the ill-treatment received at the hands of the savages - some made their escape, and were dispersed in Canada. FYI, Nan was hard to find, but can be reached through the Jefferson County New York Genealogical Society (JCNYGS). Daniels family was number 117 on Governor Hunters subsistence lists. Unfortunately, however, family genealogies range in quality from superb to horrifyingly bad. . Hunter The intent is to determine any interrelationships, foster family reunions, and enhance our understanding and knowledge of our own origins and history. Some settle in German town, others located on the Skippack, in Oley. The other dissatisfied Germans at Schoharie, who did to choose to follow their friends to Pennsylvania sought for and found a future home on the frontier in Mohawk Valley. Indeed,Doris was correct, and she pointed me towards Jacob Kobel and his wife, Anna Maria. Id love to know more about these families before their arrival in England. . The photo above is difficult to see because I took it through glass, but it shows pictures of the inside of the condos or apartments that are for sale in the area, all for over half a million pounds and those are the cheap ones. The water in the dock area looks dark, but you can see the boats moored today. Welcome to Geni, home of the world's largest family tree. Passenger lists are available for some Palatine migration ships, in most cases recorded on or after arrival. Its such a joy to help break down someone elses brick wall and to introduce them to a new aspect of their family history. The redevelopedpark where Im standing,is located in the area between the green St. In 1736 it was 736, and it rose to 1528 in 1737. Made a few interesting discoveries but need to take the time to make some kind of a spreadsheet to make sense of it all. WebTag: Governor Hunter. East and West Camp Their second child, Abraham, was born about 1702/03 probably in that same location. Several thousand had embarked for the Silly Islands, a group south-west of England; but never reached their intended destination. She sent 10 ships to New York and promised to settle them in the Schoharie Valley on land offered by the Mohawk Indians. I gave it up because I didnt have time to do what I had hoped. B. Hunter Its a lovely convoluted puzzle theyve given us to solve. King George II of Great Britain, held out strong inducements, through very liberal promises, to all who would emigrate into, and settle Nova Scotia, when a considerable body of German, principally Hanoverians, left their country, embarked for America, landed at Chebucto Bay, near Halifax, the capital of Nova Scotia, where fourteen hundred and fifty-three re-embarked and landed at Marliguish, on the 7th of june, 1753. Some 1250 houses were demolished, together with the medieval hospital and church of St. Katharine. You can see them behind Saids car, waiting patiently for me to get my ancestor-fix. The next question I had for her was what was that? The answer came in the form of a Wiki article and a couple of books, the best of which was Becoming German: The 1709 Palatine Migration to New York by Philip Otterness, a history professor at Warren Wilson College. In 1732 one hundred and seventy persons were transported.

What Happened To Nick Panos Kindig, Articles H