The wing, tail assembly and pilot's seat were constructed of a new rubberized Airmat fabric developed by Goodyear that consisted of joined layers of inflatable rubber-coated nylon fabric shaped by thousands of nylon threads that gave it one of the highest strength-to-weight ratios of any construction material. This is literally one of a kind. Its service ceiling was estimated at 10,000 feet. Take off distance on sod was 250 feet with 575 feet needed to clear a 50-foot obstacle. Designated the GA-33, the Inflatoplane was built and flown in a little over 12 days. I am in the airplane business and have an FBO at the Reading airport in Pennsylvania. It was ideally suited for both land and water uses. It needed no more controls than those on the handlebars of a motorcycle. An extensive evaluation program of the new model followed, including wind tunnel testing at Langley Air Force Base in Virginia. Designed and built in only 12weeks, the Goodyear Inflatoplane was built in 1956, with the idea that it could be used by the military as a rescue plane to be dropped in a hardened container behind enemy lines. The first GA-33 prototype Inflatoplane was donated to the Ohio Museum of Flight at the International Airport in Columbus, Ohio. The airplane held 20 gallons of fuel and carried a maximum weight of 240 lb. http://www.ebay.com/itm/271712165354?_trksid=p2060778.m1438 . The aircraft used a 60-hp McCulloch 4318 engine that was also hand-started. Ok here goes. Its service ceiling was estimated at 10,000 ft. [1] The inflatable surface of this aircraft was actually a sandwich of two rubber-type materials connected by a mesh of nylon threads, forming an I-beam. You know about it? But when the Great Depression hit the United States in 1931 and 1932, paralyzing the aviation industry, it became next to impossible to raise money for further development. The Goodyear Inflatoplane was an inflatable experimental aircraft made by the Goodyear Aircraft Company, a subsidiary of the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company. Wallace didnt have enough time to open his parachute. Although I posted this, Im still not back and I do not wish to continue posting anything for a while. Rate of climb was 500 feet per minute. Goodyear, a famous tire company, came up with a solution. The Goodyear Inflatoplane was an inflatable experimental aircraft made by the Goodyear Aircraft Company, a subsidiary of Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, well known for the Goodyear blimp. Eventually, helicopters became the tool for saving trapped airmen, anyway. Goodyear claimed it was 'suitable for all types of Army field operations, particularly reconnaissance'. While evaluation continued on I was going to display it but never got around to it. Its not going to be cheap though so please dont waste my time. Favorable test results led to the improved GA-447. Only 12 were ever built and i dont know of any that are left. A single 40-horsepower Nelson H-59 engine would then help expand the plane to its full size. December 14-17, 2021 Collectible Firearms & Militaria, This lot is closed for bidding. Test pilots reported that the little plane was actually easy to fly and handled well. On 20 US gallons (76 L) of fuel, the aircraft could fly 390 miles (630km), with an endurance of 6.5hours. No Activation Groups For the easier transport it could be packed into a 44 cubic foot container. Somewhat like a giant inner-tube. Physical Description: Inflatable, rubber, monoplane. Thanks for your time. This new model was designated the GA-468. Specifications (Goodyear GA-468 Inflatoplane (XAO-3-GI)), CBS quiz show "I've Got a Secret" 1956 Goodyear engineer J Thomas Blair demonstrates the Inflatoplane, "Summary: Report of the development of a one place inflatoplane", Aircraft Finder for Goodyear AO (Inflatoplane), GA486 at Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum, https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Goodyear_Inflatoplane&oldid=1152255216, 1950s United States experimental aircraft, 1950s United States military rescue aircraft, Short description is different from Wikidata, Wikipedia articles needing clarification from March 2019, Articles with failed verification from February 2022, Aircraft specs templates using more general parameter, Aircraft specs templates using more performance parameter, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License 3.0, Goodyear GA-447 Inflatoplane at the Akron, Ohio test area, This page was last edited on 29 April 2023, at 03:31. To improve on structural stability, the Inflatoplanes used Goodyears Airmat that consisted of joined layers of inflatable rubber-coated nylon fabric shaped by thousands of nylon threads. Twelve Inflatoplanes were built. The aircraft is in storage at the Garber Restoration Facility. [1] Goodyear Sale Price: US $150,000.00 Latest Other-aircraft Iskra Wollard Hobart Goodyear McCulloch Goodyear 1955 THIS IS NOT A JOKE ! This example is accompanied by several original and reprinted manuals which exhibit blemishes that are typical of old paper. Think of Goodyear and one inevitably thinks of "The Goodyear Blimp." The aircraft used a two-cycle 40-hp Nelson engine that had to be hand-started. I do fly helicopters. I was joking also saying we should make a inflatable airplane, went home and looked it up! While both reportedly worked, neither project got off of the ground. [8], Data from Inflatoplanes,[9] The Inflatoplane[10]. Never heard of this before. Only 12 were ever built and i dont know of any that are left. Designated the M.L. the Download for Mobile button below. In consequence, the overstressed wing bent up into the propeller, tearing a hole and releasing the air pressure. Interesting trades considered. [6] A fourth is in storage at the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Florida. Despite its promising design, the Inflatoplane was never put into mass production due to several factors, including the limitations of its inflatable airframe contexto and the availability of other types of aircraft that could perform similar functions. The range of the two-seater version was 275 miles. Goodyear estimated that a single person could use a hand pump to inflate the plane halfway in about 10 minutes. Okay Single seat Goodyear INFLATO-PLANE. This incredible plane was sent in by a reader and Im amazed that weve only given just a passing mention of it. The fuselage was built out of airship fabric with reinforced areas for the landing gear and a pilot seat. Bye guys. As well as their famous blimps, the Goodyear Company built military aircraft under licence, such as versions of the Vought Corsair. Wallace was pitched out, over the nose of the aircraft and fell into the shallow lake. It held air perfectly. Goodyear donated two Inflatoplanes for museum display at the end of the project, one to the Franklin Institute in Philadelphia and one to the Smithsonian Institution in Washington, D.C.[5][failed verification] Another is on display at the Stonehenge Air Museum in Fortine, Montana. The Inflatoplane's performance was comparable to that of a a J3 Cub. All Rights Reserved. The Goodyear Inflatoplane was an experimental aircraft made by the Goodyear Aircraft Company, a subsidiary of Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, well known for the Goodyear blimp. The aircraft was in a descending turn when one of the control cables under the wing came off the pulley and was wedged in the pulley bracket, locking the stick. Consider a fighter jet crashed deep inside enemy territory. Thanks for your time. Endurance was said to be over six hours. If someone is seriously interested it can be inflated anytime. The Inflatoplane is not airworthy and should only be used for display purposes. Lucky for those who get to see this plane. I was going to display it but never got around to it. Morphy Auctions. When fully inflated the wings of the Goodyear Inflatoplane were rigid enough to hold the weight of a person. In 1987, Goodyear sold its Aerospace division to Loral, which in turn sold it to Lockheed Martin Tactical Defense Systems in 1996. Magnificent Men and their Flying Machines. These aircraft were designed to compensate for leaks since the designers took into account possible damage from enemy gunfire. [1] It landed in 350feet. It would be great if it was tested in Drift Boss mode. Since the inflated fuselage supported the engine mounts, the engine collapsed forward just as the pilot stood up to bail out. After a flight, the wing 1994 - 2023 Fiddlersgreen.net. Its cruise speed was 55 mph, stall speed 43 mph, and maximum speed 70 mph. @ACEPILOT109 I have heard about when joking around with my friends. The Inflatoplane carried a maximum weight of 240 lb., had a range of 390 mi., and an endurance of 6.5 hr.s. This plane is the real deal. It flew again the next week for the press and during a second flight test it slammed into the ground. Otherwise, just click After making a few control adjustments, an experienced glider pilot and friend of McDaniel's, Joseph P. Bergling, flew the glider four more times that same day. The 44 cubic ft (1.25 cubic meter) container could also be transported by truck, jeep trailer or aircraft. Structural integrity was retained in flight with forced air being continually circulated by the aircraft's motor. Although it seemed an improbable project, the finished aircraft proved to be capable of meeting its design objectives, although orders were never forthcoming from the military. [1] The flight test program had a fatal crash when Army aviator Lt. "Pug" Wallace was killed. Its service ceiling was estimated at 10,000 ft. Twelve Inflatoplanes were designed and built in less than twelve weeks. a two-place Inflatoplane. Inflation took about 6 minutes. A total of 12 prototypes were built between 1956 and 1959, and testing continued until 1972, when the project was finally cancelled. Lessons from History is a platform for writers who share ideas and inspirational stories from world history. Specifications for Goodyear GA-466 Inflatoplane Crew: 1 Capacity: 1 passenger Length: 19 ft 2 in Wingspan: 28 ft Height: 4 ft Loaded weight: 740 lb Powerplant: 1 McCulloch 4318 air-cooled, 60 hp Performance Maximum speed: 70 mph Range: 275 mi Service ceiling: 6,500 ft Rate of climb: 500 ft/min Inflatable Plane - Goodyear Inflatoplane Watch on The plane is being stored in one of our heated hangars and can be see anytime although it just looks like a pile of rubber.lol. Army Lt. Malcolm Wallace, 26, of Greenville, Texas, was training on an Inflatoplane when it began to spiral out of control about 700 feet up. In spite of its military and civilian potential, however, the project never went past the early experimental stages. Its cruise speed was 60 mph. Later, as Goodyear Aerospace, it was responsible for the production of many aircraft components, simulators, and training systems. The most successful variation of the inflatable rubber plane concept was the Inflatoplane, conceived, designed, built and flown by the Goodyear Aircraft Corporation in 1956 from the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company's Wingfoot Lake Airship Base near Akron Ohio. Instead, the driver made a detour to Barber Airport in Alliance, Ohio, where the little aircraft was apparently tucked in the back of a hangar until it was donated to the museum. It landed in 350 ft on sod. Item specifics Current date: 2014-12-29 We use cookies to track usage and preferences. 1956. . Development, testing, and evaluation of the inflatable airplane continued through 1972 and the project was cancelled in 1973. One broken wire. Take off distance on sod was 250 ft with 575 ft needed to clear a 50-foot obstacle. Photo: Goodyear The Inflatoplane needed a stretch of 350 feet (106.5 meters) to land and 250 feet (76.2 meters) for takeoff. The Goodyear Inflatoplane was an experimental aircraft made by the Goodyear Aircraft Company, a subsidiary of Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, well known for the Goodyear blimp. Inspection, Inflatoplane Model GA 468", 6 March 1961. McDaniels aircraft was a glider and its first six flights were on January 4. The aircraft was designed for short take offs and landings and was supposed to appeal to the United States Military. The turn tightened until one of the wings folded up over the propeller and was chopped up. Goodyear stitched two rubber sheets together with nylon. The aircraft was a weird idea proven to work, but it never really found its place. Single seat Goodyear INFLATO-PLANE. Testing of a single- and two-seat version carried on into the 1970s, but no orders were ever forthcoming. One Inflatoplane was donated to the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C., and another to the Franklin Museum in Philadelphia. Although the plane didn't turn out to be a major project, it made the Goodyear Goodyear brand accessible to everyone with a passion for technology and fleeing the complex. This auction is not b.s. I am testing the waters so shoot offers. There are only a few surviving examples of the Goodyear Inflatoplane, most of which reside in museums. The Goodyear Inflatoplane was an inflatable experimental aircraft made by the Goodyear Aircraft Company, a subsidiary of Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company, well known for the Goodyear blimp. But little more is known about the outcome. This is a great way to help new players get the recognition they deserve for their work. The airplane held 18 gallons of fuel and had a gross weight of 740 lb. I am in the airplane business and have an FBO at the Reading airport in Pennsylvania. The Goodyear Inflatoplane is a light aircraft with a completely pneumatic airframe. There were at least two versions: One proposed use was to drop the container behind enemy lines so downed pilots could rescue themselves. 12 various test models were built, and the. It took about five minutes to inflate the aircraft, the pilot then hand-starting the two-stroke engine. When the initial trial flights proved successful, the head of the project, P.I. Designed and built in only 12 weeks, the Goodyear Inflatoplane was built in 1956, with the idea that it could be used by the military as a rescue plane to be dropped in a hardened container behind enemy lines. When you splash your cousin at the beach and they declare war: Copyright 2019. I am testing the waters so shoot offers. The testing was ceased after a fatal accident that claimed the life of an Army test pilot. 1956 United States of America CRAFT-Aircraft Goodyear Aircraft Corporation Inflatable, rubber, monoplane. A rear-mounted 60-hp engine powered it. Maybe you have something of equal value?

Is Bletchley A Nice Place To Live, Can I Return Lands' End Purchases To Kohl's, Chicken Wound Healing Process, Research Suggests That Boards Of Directors Perform Better If, Articles G